Sometimes things happen that cause us to feel stress. We may not have the power to change what happens around us – but we do have the power to CHANGE OUR THOUGHTS and what’s happening inside us.
WHEN CONFRONTED WITH A STRESSFUL SITUATION YOU CAN GET RELIEF BY –
– BREATHING AND STAYING CALM Unless you are being chased by a pack of wolves you are much more able to creatively solve your challenges when you are calm. b-r-e-a-t-h-e
– REMOVING YOURSELF FROM THE CAUSE OF THE STRESS and the uncomfortable feelings (if you can) … get up, dance, go for a walk, choose somewhere quiet to think, meditate or pray, move around, punch some pillows, have a drink of water, take some time out etc.
– ASKING YOURSELF, “WHAT IS THE WORST THAT CAN HAPPEN?” This often tends to bring the challenge back into it’s correct proportions. When we are stressed, our situations usually look much bigger than they really are or need to be.
– DECIDING IF IS THIS SOMETHING YOU HAVE THE POWER TO CHANGE? Think of the serenity prayer which says, …”God grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change; courage to change the things I can; and wisdom to know the difference.”
– CHANGING YOUR FOCUS. If there is nothing you can change in your outer circumstances you can easily change what you’re focusing on. Think about the good things that might come out of this situation or think about something different altogether.
– THINKING ABOUT THINGS THAT MAKE YOU FEEL BETTER. Write down a list of your possible solutions … this helps you get a better perspective on what is happening. Keep in mind that often the best solutions are to stop thinking about, talking about and giving attention to the problem completely and to get on with things that make you feel good.
– TAKING ACTION TOWARDS CREATING A SOLUTION. This may involve contacting the person who can do something about what is happening around you … Unless you are asking for expert advice, there is not much value in talking or complaining to other people. Ask for what you want and ask directly to the person who can give it to you.
– LETTING GO OF THE PAST AND FOCUSING ON A BETTER FUTURE. When you have done all that you can do, congratulate yourself, relax again and allow even more solutions to be brought toward you…Trust that everything always works out for the best. Remember the times when things sorted themselves out without you even needing to do anything about it. Know that everything will be OK!
Every challenge presents us with an opportunity to learn and grow and to make better choices. Things might not always turn out the way we expect or think they should … but they always turn out for the best – well, that’s what I like to believe anyway! ~ Elizabeth Richardson